Cool work!

I'd like to comment on Jean-Louis' idea...

There clearly are benefits for studios to keep Softimage in their tool box
a few more years, as expressed by many users here.
And I hope to see it happen instead of watching this community burst.

But for those willing to go that route, *collaboration* must play its part
in order to

- stop the whining.
- gather numbers: how many active seats? Can we borrow/buy licenses from
other studios? Share assets.
- define what's needed to keep SI up-to-date in the market as long as
possible.
- and like Jean-Louis suggests, gather money and put developers under
contract.

I have no idea if 750,000$/year is possible (i doubt) but I'd put it all in
the hands of *Fabric Engine*.
They represent your best way to extend the functionality of your beloved
software as well as make your investment fructify beyond Softimage's
*real*lifespan. Because it
*will* become obsolete one day or the other.
If Fabric Engine are interested in the amount brought to the table, then
you can figure-out a plan that will be beneficial to both parties for the
upcoming years. Imagine hiring someone like Eric Mootz full time to develop
both FE and SI.

But in order for this to work properly, people will need to organize even
if this means adopting some minimally legal convention, obviously depending
how far you want the collaboration to go.

This tightly knit community has always played a major role in the success
of Softimage and the studios exploiting it. For me, the only way for those
studios to continue to excel (read survive) despite the circumstances is to
build stronger links between each other and make clever moves.

my 0.02c