Hi Maurice,

What it comes down to is that what you are doing now, answering questions
giving us ideas of your intentions, is what we could have benefited from
*before*.
You (Autodesk, not you personally) seems able to communicate to us and be
forthcoming with information over the past week or two. This does not seem
to be against SEC laws (I would hope). Why would I and others who are so
angry and have no reason to do so, give constant feedback that we
appreciate the communication
we have been seeing since this announcement *and *wish it was like this
before, if it WAS like this before? Answer is: because it *wasn't* like
this before.

Look, I know this must not be fun in the least, and in that way, I
sympathize with you all at Autodesk. I also realize that you cannot change
the past.
But acknowledging the past can sometimes be enough. It seems to be
revisionist history is more the norm. Saying you are communicating with us
now, doesn't make us
all think you were doing so before. Is there an SEC law against apologizing
and admitting massive insensitivity?
Why would many of us be saying this, if we honestly felt there had been
honest communication before?

I don't think you (nor anyone at Autodesk) *tried *to piss off customers,
and I wasn't trying to imply that when I mentioned Singapore.
If you had all been honest with us about the lack of effort that would be
put into Softimage, you would have (as Adam said earlier) likely seen a
rally of support for your efforts now.
If transparency (to the extent allowed by SEC law) had been the norm, we
wouldn't be this pissed off. In many ways, the lack of honesty about what
the change to a Singapore based
team was about (keeping Softimage going at a lower cost to Autodesk) was
dishonest not because of what was said, but because of what WASN'T said.
Even when asked point-blank.
I asked many times, publically, in Betas and in person, if moving the team
to Singapore meant Autodesk wasn't going to be putting much into Softimage
from now on, and I was met with constant silence.

You said that you never stated that you were planning to increase
investment in Softimage. Of course not, because had you, you would have had
to due to SEC laws.
But you also DIDN'T say that you planned to basically just maintain it with
the majority of the focus going towards Maya.

You may say that you wouldn't have been able to say that, that SEC rules
prevent you from saying that. But you are saying it now, and so did Marc!
This is what I am talking about. I am not talking about knowing about
upcoming features, I know that you cannot comment on those publicly. I have
known that for all the years I have been an Autodesk customer. I am talking
about a lack of communication
on par with, ironically, the amount we are now getting from Autodesk.

You can't possibly expect us to believe that you couldn't be this open
before, but you can now, yet SEC rules prevented you from revealing plans,
because I am not talking
about future plans, I am talking about the state at which Autodesk
designated for Softimage a year and a half ago. It wasn't a FUTURE event,
it had happened! You could have talked about it with no worries about
violating SEC laws!

Honesty at that point could have really made a huge amount of difference,
and gone a long way towards building respect and faith in Autodesk, not
destroying it. Instead, as always, it was vague. Being vague about the
future
is one thing, being vague about the present is another. At that point it
isn't being vague, it is being deceitful.

And to put my money where my mouth is, I didn't mean to imply that you had
said Softimage was being put on Life Support. That was MY term, not meant
to be implied that YOU said it that way.

Perry