From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of pete...@skynet.be
Sent: 10 August 2014 12:01
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: EOL and using older Softimages

> preventing the use of previous versions unless you basically commit forever,

and even then – only 3 versions back!

2012 is now officially off-limits for subscription customers.
I remember a message from an AD rep here, suggesting not to upgrade a few
licenses just in order to keep access to an older version -
thus diluting one’s license park.
it’s anti-customer behavior, directed ONLY at licensed and paying customers,
devaluating their investment.

what you did up to 3 years ago is being ‘obsoleted’ -
for long format work that’s like saying: your previous project is off bounds.
This in an industry (entertainment) thriving on sequels !
funny reading just the other day about Weta’s own new renderer in that other
thread – where they mention opening shots from “old” projects such as Tintin or
the first Hobbit – and re-rendering them. Where this was actually a design
constraint they set themselves.

And here’s AD going: hey, if we can prevent you from doing this, we will!

Sure, you can try and open those scenes on a newer version, and pray nothing
breaks. Oh right, if you’re on Maya, don’t forget  to recompile all those
plugins you don’t have the source code for. Doh.

> Personally can't wait for competition.

Amen to that. I stuck it out on Softimage, waiting for the next gen software
from AD to replace Maya/Max/XSI.
Definitely not doing that anymore - at this point my ONLY criterium for a
replacement is that it isn’t AD.