From: Sebastien Sterling
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 11:16 PM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Softimage and CMYK

Could i approximate it ? in sRGB ? god but this is a mess :(

I don't think the client has any original sRGB artwork

On 9 February 2016 at 22:05, <pete...@skynet.be> wrote:

  I don’t think it’s a colorspace problem perse – as within normal ranges,
going back and forth between RGB and CMYK isn’t so bad.

  The ultramarine blue in the blacks, might be something very different:
  a good print black is not 100% black and 0% C,M,Y each: this would result in
a dark grey.
  So ‘designers’ add some of the other colors, up to almost 300% total, to
deepen and tint the black.
  A cold deep black with lots of cyan, a warmer black with yellow or...
everyone has his preference for mixing black it seems, and they even give their
blacks fancy names.

  Of course that’s bound to give you trouble going back to RGB – as those are
colors that are far outside the normal gamut of colors.
  The other way around, we would call them illegal colors, our pure 100%
primary and secondary colors are among them.
  As the others have pointed out, welcome to a world of pain – doing some print
work atm, having to mix and match 3D renders (linear), CMYK artwork,
photographs (srgb), physical parts painted with pantone colors and more, and
going back and forth between 3D and ps/illustrator and pdf - and it is a
minefield.
  You have to inform your client that their artwork is purpose made for a
certain printing effect which makes them unfit for other use.
  You might be better off scanning/photographing printed artwork or physical
products or ...