I would not go with trying to render particles with this effect , think the
original

https://vimeo.com/44743579 was by aardman animation and used a 2d Maya
fluid grid for advecting the stuff off the character.

There is this also,
https://vimeo.com/47181969 similar effect a thin slice of fluid is
simulating the advection movements

If you have it as a volume should render in mental ray or Arnold ok, also
redshift now 😀