I guess this has a lot to do with how you use it and your methodology. While
not crash free I have always found Softimage very stable for these things,
except for a couple of versions along the way that made me pull hair out, but
even on those occasions you learn how to workaround and avoid losing work.

So while not solid all way around, I would say pretty damnn stable for me,
especially on certain "golden" versions.

Morten