Back in the day Maya was not designed to be, nor intended to be, a generalist
3D app. In a lot of ways its still indistinguishable from its original design
20 years ago. And one of the things any Maya user should never presume is that
it is a generalist app. Sadly its not and never was an app for generalists.

The need to build things such as scripts, as you have described, should not be
viewed as a workaround. It is the workflow. Maya was created by its original AW
engineers that way by design. Back in 98 I called tech support to complain that
invert component selection was missing. I was told bluntly that is why they
created MEL, so that I could make the things I need. I was told that I would
need to make invert selection myself. Being a generalist, and knowing nothing
of MEL at the time, I complained to AW that such an expectation was
unreasonable. One of the tech’s, after getting more than his share of my
opinion why such a philosophy was illogical and lacked significant foresight by
their engineers, relented, wrote it, and sent it to me.

I’m not agreeing with the philosophy nor promoting it. I was floored that
something so simple and rudimentary was apparently just left out of the
application. I thought it was wrong then and I still do now. But the way to
think about Maya, the way they wanted people to think of Maya back in the 90s,
is that it was intended to be a shell. A shell that each workgroup could mold
into that workgroup’s own unique animation system. But it wasn’t designed with
generalists in mind.

Can a generalist use Maya? Absolutely. I did that for more than a decade before
I returned to XSI. But the Maya “generalist” has to accept that they are going
to have to be more than a generalist. They are going to have to be the
“workgroup”.

In Maya simple things are hard, hard things are simple. It’s the equivalent to
using a sledgehammer to drive a thumbtack.

--
Joey
Opinions stated here-in are strictly those of the author and do not