If you want a pick tool like Softimage’s, well there isn’t.

You have Stefan’s way with the paint skin weights tool, or you could do it in
your component the editor, which I think it’s easier. Like you would do it with
softimage weight editor.

Or you could script it, or use someone else script :D

Years ago, when I couldn’t script in Maya I used to use a mel script called Max
Skinning Weight Tool.

Martin
Sent from my iPhone