I highly recommend using ngSkinTools:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ngskintools.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=76Q6Tcqc-t2x0ciWn7KFdCiqt6IQ7a_IF9uzNzd_2pA&r=GmX_32eCLYPFLJ529RohsPjjNVwo9P0jVMsrMw7PFsA&m=aQHsGRdso8tvZCkO6HrYSmAcINHO1bwOP0EmASGs7ko&s=-V0Fo4KWClVx4y5d_4cSySd1XXqQaGfKHgsKJB_dzJk&e=

It's the only way to retain your sanity from the perils of Maya's dreadful
skin weight normalization behavior.