Maya is full of surprises. Here's my story today:
I wanted to create a wavy surface so I got a polygon grid and selected
every second points and translated in Y.
Then I applied a smooth. The result was bizarre: only the edges were
wavy shaped, the rest was flat. I was not happy so I undid the smooth
with CTRL+Z.
I should have recovered my grid with half of its points translated in
Y... But no. Some border vertices were translated in Y, all the rest of
the grid was flat... And of course my selection was lost.
I tried this a second time to be sure I didn't lose my mind and I got
the same result.
Great job Maya.
So I did in in XSI and exported an obj.
David