I think it would be useful to reframe the discussion away from
"stateless/stateful" and more towards the issues that operators are interested
in: capital investment and ongoing operational expense.  "stateless/stateful"
is related to those expense issues but there is not, for any given operator,
necessarily a direct relation between operator cost and statefulness.

It seems there are operators who feel their needs would be better served by a
"less stateful" mechanism.  Whether that mechanism is completely "stateless" or
"less stateful" is less important than what I hear as a need for "has state
that is cheaper to deploy and run."  There may be other operational
requirements for better service that would be met by "less stateful."

- Ralph