The fundamental issue is total cost to the operator. Different operators have different cost structures, hence need different engineering solutions. This isn't a matter of using precise language -- "stateless" is a term of convenience fitting the perceptions of the particular group of persons interested in the MAP and 4rd work.

Rather than argue over the use of the term, perhaps you could describe the engineering solution that interests you (though I suppose the question below gives a hint).

Tom Taylor