What? Those weren't more pictures of Anna Kournikova? I re-tasked my entire network of SETI machines to decrypt those files! What a waste of 214.7 years of computing power.

--On Wednesday, June 18, 2003 2:32 PM -0400 Shayne Lebrun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think that what this fine fellow is talking about is when you say to
somebody "do NOT open an email with 'ILOVEYOU' as the subject!"

Then they say, literally, 'Ok, I won't.  Hey, a new email! Wow, somebody
loves me! *click click*'

Implementing a properly fascist IT environment is damn hard when the users
are used to having carte blanche; hell, just explaining to them why
windowsupdate is firewalled off is a bitch.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Jeremy Oddo
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 1:51 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [SAtalk] spammers aren't the only ones who can teach. (was
We TEACH you how to ...)

[SNIP] > > Sorry Dave, I have to disagree with you here. As an admin who provides > in-house support, I lose respect for the average human being. I cannot > tell you how many times I have to remove virii, reinstall s/w or entire > OSen, or remove spyware. These are adult who repeat their actions. > The problem, I think, is their ignorance. In the work place, the computer has moved away from being just a word processor to being the central hub for all information. Most of *us* already work that way, but this is a new concept for the average business joe. Most of them don't have the computer chops to be able to understand the cause/effect relationship in a computer environment.

Again, the most important part is EDUCATION.  And if the managers and
higher-ups won't pay for some kind of education/training then they are
just plain fools.  This goes beyond the "this is how you print labels in
Microsoft Word" type of training.  Every company will operate
differently, and it's important for the employees to understand the
workflow and proper computer infrastructure usage.  Even more important,
the company needs to *enforce* those procedures.

Don't give them a loaded gun without showing them where the safety is.

> After admonishment and my removal of chat and file share software, one
> employee re-installed the software.  I removed again, and told her
> manager.  He supposedly talked with his department about it.  But...I
> found it again!

What?!  What kind of environment do you work in?!  PERMISSIONS my friend!
Where I work, only admins can install software.  And if your company uses
Win9X and won't bite the bullet for Win2K/XP, get out of there!

> They are after "free" stuff.  Jokes.  Porn.  Games.  "cool" software.
> Screensavers.  Pirated software.

Tell your managers about the BSA.  I think it's $100K for every
offense(?).  That's serious stuff.

> I fix the computers, and they do it
> again.  They DO NOT care.  I would love to disconnect them from the LAN
> and  make them do everything via low bandwidth connections.  They have
> no  respect, and expect my support because I am on salary.

Hee Hee.  You've got to let them know who's boss :)  Without you there,
they can't function.  If you're the only admin on staff, take a weeks
vacation; they'll understand how important you are in no time!

Or you could show them how powerful you really are!  I had a friend that
worked as an admin for about 40-50 users.  At times, he would need to
down servers during lunch hour (Novel/Windows environment).  He would
remind people several times that THE SERVER WOULD BE OFF-LINE AT 1:00PM.
Without fail, there would be and handful of employees that "needed five
more minutes".  By the time he was able to down the server, it would be
1:30+. Finally, one day when he had to down the server again, he thought
"I've had enough of this crap" and told everyone that the server would be
off-line at 1:00PM sharp.  He reminded people all day.  Five minutes to
1:00PM, he went to the server room and waited...watching the clock.
RIGHT at 1:00PM, he downed the server...then listened to the chorus of
moans throughout the office!

Jeremy

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: INetU Attention Web Developers & Consultants: Become An INetU Hosting Partner. Refer Dedicated Servers. We Manage Them. You Get 10% Monthly Commission! INetU Dedicated Managed Hosting http://www.inetu.net/partner/index.php _______________________________________________ Spamassassin-talk mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/spamassassin-talk