Jilayne Lovejoy <opensou...@jilayne.com> writes:

> Hi John,
>
>     Steve Winslow <swins...@linuxfoundation.org> writes:
>
>     > Hello all,
>     >
>     > I've been working on a few pages on the SPDX website on why and how to
> use
>     > SPDX short-form IDs. This is intended to be developer-focused, usable by
>     > someone who isn't otherwise familiar with SPDX, to get them to start
>     > putting SPDX identifiers in their source code.
>     >
>     > The first cut at this is now available at
>     >
> https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fspdx.org%2Fids&data=02%7C01%7CJilayne.Lovejoy%40arm.com%7C103bfc98d6f64298bee708d59fe9e31a%7Cf34e597957d94aaaad4db122a662184d%7C0%7C1%7C636590749258954709&sdata=nLWJSZhEzVKkU04yPM1e8Ut9cWwxQhmCYgVK%2BQYb9Gw%3D&reserved=0.
>     > There are a
>     > few "read more..." pages linked from that URL. These pages are visible
> but
>     > not yet linked from the rest of the site.
>     >

>     I can't find the previous links now, but I thought the previous "how to
>     use SPDX identifiers" page on the site recommended keeping the
>     file-level boilerplate text for, for example, the GPL, and included
>     examples along those lines.
>
> Yes, and it still does - the page you are thinking of is Appendix V to the
> Spec https://spdx.org/specifications
> (which you can go directly to via this link:
> https://spdx.org/spdx-specification-21-web-version#h.twlc0ztnng3b )
> Which is the main source of explaining the use of SPDX identifiers in source
> files.
> Notably, in the second paragraph in Appendix V, it states:

Thanks Jilayne. I'm thinking of a different page, I can go looking for
it, but the one I had in mind showed examples of files and had a title
that was more like "How to use SPDX".

I do think the info in that Appendix is important to include on the new
/ids page -- in particular the part about preserving the standard
header.

I also wonder about warranty disclaimers?

-john

GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7 5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
https://status.fsf.org/johns | https://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<https://my.fsf.org/join>.