Hi Marwan, > I'm sorry about the previous mails, but it seems my mozilla is f*****g up.
I noticed you were having some issues with your quotes ;-) . > 1 - I completely deactivated the firewall, but that didn't solve my > problem. I'd also like to add that I can't even ping the DNS server! > Where can I check what DNS serve my connection is using (and eventually fix > it?) Not sure what the "doctor" is you mentioned in your first mail. I assume a script to check connection settings. Are you using the user mode or the kernel mode driver? You say you can't ping the DNS server, but you also don't know which DNS server you are using. How does that work? By the way, the DNS server is mentioned in the output you sent us in your previous mail. Can't you ping any outside machine by IP? If pinging or browsing by IP works (note that some internet servers, eg http://www.redhat.com do *not* reply to pings, try 195.135.220.3 for http://www.suse.de) you can set your /etc/resolv.conf to use known DNS servers. To use the DNS servers provided by your ISP you need to add the "usepeerdns" option to the ppp config file (typically /etc/ppp/peers/adsl). This will update /etc/ppp/resolv.conf, which you will have to copy to /etc/resolv.conf. I do this in my adsl startup script. If pinging or browsing by IP does not work and your firewall is down I wouldn't know what the problem is. Your output from ifconfig looks fine. > 2 - I thought the kernel that shipped with RH9 would be the most recent > version! Where can I get the newest one (and what version number is it?) ? Security updates can be found at your local Red Hat mirror. See http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html . When using the Red Hat ftp server the path is ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates . Should be similar on mirrors. Bye, Leonard. -- How clean is a war when you shoot around nukelar waste? Stop the use of depleted uranium ammo! End all weapons of mass destruction. Liste de diffusion modem ALCATEL SpeedTouch USB Pour se d�sinscrire : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
