> My provider, xs4all in the Netherlands, has served me well for 8 years.
> Since last summer however, after they changed the properties of the
> connection (it was upgraded to 6112 kb/s down, 832 kb/s up) things got
> problematic.
> The first is that the synchronizing of my speedtouch 330 modem (the
> purple
> one) takes much longer now. Since the synchronizing takes place during
> boot time, that generally is not such a big problem. What is a problem
> is
> that, especially late at night, the modem goes down frequently. Message
> like:
>
> Oct 10 23:19:08 linux-31l4 kernel: ATM dev 0: DSL line goes down
> Oct 10 23:19:08 linux-31l4 kernel: ATM dev 0: ADSL line is down
> Oct 10 23:19:50 linux-31l4 kernel: ATM dev 0: DSL line goes up
> Oct 10 23:19:50 linux-31l4 kernel: ATM dev 0: ADSL line is up (6080
> kb/s
> down | 832 kb/s up)
>
> pop up every 10 minutes. What is strange is that this behavior does not
> happen under WindowsXP. Distributions like OpenSuSE however suffer from
> this problem. Ubuntu 9.04 is even worse. Under Unbuntu, the modem is
> more
> busy with synchronizing than with serving my connection.
>
> Has anyone ever experienced this problem?

Well, yes: my provider started peeping the remote modem status through OAM
cells, to which my systems didn't reply (unfortunately OAM is not supported
in usbatm and in the linux ATM stack and, anyway, they were using
non-standard OAM requests). After few of these unreplied OAM requests, my
provider was starting an ADSL re-synchronization.

However, your case seems different to me. It seems you have synchronization
problems. Unfortunately, the speedtch driver doesn't report any signal
and/or bins information (not even the agreed speed) in its
/proc/net/atm/speedtch* file, so it is difficult to inspect further. I would
suggest to use a Windows system in order to have a look to your signal
quality. If you signal quality is good, it may be a firmware problem related
to border conditions. Try updating/changing your firmware version.

Duncan, what about adding speed, signal strength, agreed ADSL standard and
bins composition to the driver's procfs file? Actually the only status data
available are the VC one (which is basically redundant since the
/proc/net/atm/vc file already reports it) and a lone "Line Up/Synchronizing"
line...

Giampaolo