I thought the reason this was commonly done was driven by friction loss.

As far as zoning alarm local jurisdictions commonly tinker with this area of
model codes during adoption, and during adopting rulings. Sprinkler folks who
think AHJ's do to much localizing would be shocked with what is common practice
in the alarm world.

Does the local AHJ require point identification of the alarm? And does that
extend to on site annunciation? If so, I'd accept S. Ceiling and N. In-Rack
Sprinklers as one point, and N. Ceiling Sprinklers as another.

Best

Bruce Verhei