> On Oct 7, 2019, at 6:17 AM, Jose Isaias Cabrera <jic...@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> I have to ask this question:  Why is it that the date function does not take
> a '4/5/2019' and returns '2019-04-05'?

Because that's locale-dependent. Some countries, like the US, use
month/day/year; most other countries use day/month/year. To interpret such a
date string, SQLite has to know what country's customs to use. And that is a
pretty significant problem, since:

- Different operating systems communicate locale info in completely different
ways
- The locale settings may not be applied at the layer of the OS where SQLite is
running (example: Android only very recently started setting the C-level locale
to match the GUI locale.)
- The current locale may not match the locale from which the date string
originates

A database should not have to care about locales. It's supposed to process data
in globally-consistent ways that don't depend on settings like that.

<grumpy>I swear, half the questions on this list build down to "Why doesn't
SQLite act like MS Access?" If you need all the bells and whistles of
formatting input and output, then use a fancy DBMS application. SQLite is for
embedded use _inside_ applications.</grumpy>

—Jens