>Because that's locale-dependent. Some countries, like the US, use
>month/day/year; most other countries use day/month/year.

Maybe.  Canada supposedly uses the day/month/year format, or so I suddenly
became aware of in 1998 when I was in my mid 30's.  Prior to that day it was
m/d/y.  Then again, ever since I was 12 it was always y-m-d.  And the hours
always went from 00 to 23.

>To interpret such a date string, SQLite has to know what country's
>customs to use. And that is a pretty significant problem, since:
>
>- Different operating systems communicate locale info in completely
>  different ways
>- The locale settings may not be applied at the layer of the OS where
>  SQLite is running (example: Android only very recently started setting
>  the C-level locale to match the GUI locale.)
>- The current locale may not match the locale from which the date string
>   originates

Not to mention that whoever you have appointed as the "authority" for "locale"
probably has no bloody clue.  Plus of course if I get on an airplane and fly to
Japan the locale is completely different from if I hop on a plane and fly to
Amsterdam, and still different again if I fly to Miami.  No date entered in any
one of those locale's will be parseable in any other.

In other words a date format of YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.SSSSSSSSS TZ can always be
unambiguosly parsed.  The others only perhaps maybe sometimes occassionally.

lot about anticipated traffic volume.