On 8 Oct 2019, at 7:39pm, James K. Lowden <jklow...@schemamania.org> wrote:

> Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:
>
>> Converting data to and from a convenient storage format is not the
>> job of a DBMS.
>
> While I have no quarrel with your specific point about date strings,
> this particular statement is too broad. Arguably, data conversion is
> an inherent, central part of what the DBMS does. Unless, that is,
> you're adept at interpreting IEEE floating point as 1s and 0s.

You're right.  What I meant was something more like "Converting data to and
from your presentation format …".

On the subject of a name for the heavy version of SQLite, I'd suggest SQLThicc,
but the 'thicc' meme will have gone away in a few years.  Actually, since it
won't be supported that long, it's not such a bad name.