>Royce,

No fear, so just send me the $100 now!!

Yes, axle pumps can cavitate (and usually do at times). I always make 
sure my pumps are primed just before opening the regulator ( 
throttle). Just steamed my  3-1/2" Britannia and have the problem 
stated below by Bob. I hadn't steamed it for a year so I know a ball 
is stuck. I have been able to do a fix previously by blowing air 
through the pump- both inlet and outlet. Hopefully it will work 
again! It's a bit of a bear to disassemble and it is a double axle 
pump- two pistons and
barrels.   Catboat I both enjoy  our coal firing of the 3-1/2" gauge 
but my old hand quavers too much to coal on the run,  it goes 
everywhere except in the fire box!-- so I have to stop for a few mins 
which also gives me an opportunity to refill my martini glass!

Geoff.


>
>In a message dated 6/30/2006 7:59:26 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, 
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>I was  thinking of offering a $100 reward to anyone who
>can get my axle pump to  work at the NSS.  But I have ONE more thing to
>try before filling the  pump body with epoxy.
>
>
>
>Small pumps are notorious for developing an air bubble in the barrel. If  one
>occurs the piston just keeps compressing the air and allowing it to  expand
>so no water flows. LBSC the old man of live steam in the old days always 
>advocated an "anti air lock" pin on the end of his pistons that 
>entered a  counter
>bored chamber between the inlet and discharge checks. The only time  the axle
>pump on my 3-1/2 inch gauge locomotive has failed is when the  locomotive sat
>unused for several years and deposits of mineral stopped the  balls from
>moving. In case you are not familiar with the name "LBSC" he was 
>one of the "grand
>old men" of live steaming, but at slightly larger scales. He  most well known
>achievement was a man hauling locomotive in 2-1/2 inch gauge. I  drive my
>3-1/2 inch gauge American type 4-4-0 in my back yard, No radio 
>control  needed as
>I ride behind on a flat car with a seat. Coal fired so I can get the  full
>experience, clikty clack over the rail joints, cinders in the eye 
>and  remember
>to shovel in a scoop of coal on the run.
>-------------- next part --------------
>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>URL: 
>http://postfix.45mm.com/pipermail/sslivesteam/attachments/20060630/5a315eac/attachment.html
>_______________________________________________
>SSLiveSteam mailing list
>Send messages: [email protected]
>Cancel subscription: http://postfix.45mm.com/mailman/listinfo/sslivesteam
>Rules: http://www.45mm.com/sslivesteam_guide.html

_______________________________________________
SSLiveSteam mailing list
Send messages: [email protected]
Cancel subscription: http://postfix.45mm.com/mailman/listinfo/sslivesteam
Rules: http://www.45mm.com/sslivesteam_guide.html

Reply via email to