>> I wonder how many of us have
>> had one of our unidentified brass bits disintegrate or whatever over
>> the last, say 25 years? I certainly have had no problems and I don't
>> know anybody who has.


I had a brass safety valve crumble on a scratch built LBSC "Dot" when I tried 
to use a spanner to remove it.  The zinc was gone and the metal that was left 
looked like sintered bronze... it was porous.  No telling exactly how old it 
was, but to me it was "NOT OLD ENOUGH"!  Whenever I scratch build boiler 
fittings these days I use bronze, although I too have been using surplus ends 
from a local scrap dealer.  I am starting a 1.6" scale 2-8-2, and I will 
purchase new material of a known composition for it's fittings.

I've also had two toy steam engine boilers fail by developing leaks... One was 
a Mamod tractor and the other was a Wilesco stationary engine.  Both had very 
high mileage, so to speak, because they were toys from my childhood and I ran 
them thousands of times.  Both failed in the middle of the bottom of the boiler 
barrel, the hottest part, by developing pinhole leaks that eventually got bad 
enough that they put the fire out.  Because they were hidden, I didn't notice 
the leaks until they reached that stage.

The Mamod got scrapped when I was 12 years old... I removed the engine and all 
other parts and threw the defective boiler away.  I wish I still had it.  The 
Wilesco boiler I removed and mailed to Wilesco as defective, and even though it 
was probably decades out of warranty, they sent me a replacement and that 
engine is still "in service" on a shelf in my library today.  Good customer 
relations on their part if you ask me.

Regards,
Jon

-- 
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead.
Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow.
Do not walk beside me, either.  Leave me the hell alone.


_______________________________________________
SSLiveSteam mailing list
Send messages: [email protected]
Cancel subscription: http://postfix.45mm.com/mailman/listinfo/sslivesteam
Rules: http://www.45mm.com/sslivesteam_guide.html

Reply via email to