David B. Orwig wrote:

> I've heard in the past of people pickling their boilers after the
> completion of assembly. What is that? (I know what it means in regards
> to cucumbers.) What different type fluids are used in the process?
> Should I do it to anything I hard solder (like my copper elbow, of which
> I am very proud of! (grin))?


Pickling is putting the silver soldered item in an acid solution to 
remove the flux residues.  Some folk use sulphuric acid but I use Citric 
Acid which I obtain in powder form from a chemist.  In the UK it is used 
in home wine making so is relatively easy to obtain, and some believe it 
is safer than sulphuric in a domestic situation.

I do know that if diluting conc. sulphuric to make a pickling solution 
you have to be careful and add the water to the acid OR VICE VERSA 
otherwise you can end up with a violent 'reaction' which leads to 
sulphuric acid getting everywhere.  I am sure that wise heads on this 
list can tell you which way round it should be.

Sam E
_______________________________________________
SSLiveSteam mailing list
Send messages: [email protected]
Cancel subscription: http://postfix.45mm.com/mailman/listinfo/sslivesteam
Rules: http://www.45mm.com/sslivesteam_guide.html

Reply via email to