At 01:53 PM 12/20/06 -0500, you wrote:
>To pickle I have heard folks use Muratic acid or Sparex. I've never used
>Muratic acid, but I got a can of Sparex years ago
Terry,
In a perfect world I world I would choose sulphuric acid, but since
gallons of muriatic acid (20° Baume hydrochloric) are sold everywhere for
construction use I use it because it's convenient and economical, and it
does the job. Locally citric acid costs a small fortune for a few ozs,
hardly enough for one boiler, but $6 buys a gallon of muriatic which when
diluted will last a long time and do many boilers!
Muriatic does have its drawbacks, the first one being that even
diluted it is a skin and eye irritant so protection is always advisable.
It also tends to weaken more quickly than other pickles, and spills can
make holes in clothing, but properly diluted and handled it presents no
more problems than any other pickle and I tolerate the minor drawbacks in
exchange for the convenience and economy.
Regards,
Harry
_______________________________________________
SSLiveSteam mailing list
Send messages: [email protected]
Cancel subscription: http://postfix.45mm.com/mailman/listinfo/sslivesteam
Rules: http://www.45mm.com/sslivesteam_guide.html