A few weeks back now I got so fed up with the Windows machine that I switched all the paperwork stuff to Linux. ( Mandriva 2009.0 but that is not critical )

Seamonkey works fine apart from a few quirks on hot keys which have been covered already, but increasingly I'm finding that the reasons for USING Seamonkey are being eroded. On windows things do not integrate together nicely, the Calendar and Address Book are still separated from one another and hot keying between links in messages and notes is lacking.

On Linux there are still a few rough edges, but the environment seems a lot more 'interoperability friendly', unlike windows? That said, I find that I still have problems with Seamonkey talking to other things, and the same with Firefox and Thunderbird. While KDE gives me a nice 'flat playing field' when it comes to integration. ( Although KDE4 is about as user friendly as Vista! :( )

I think I can understand why the drive to split up Mozilla came about since many developers do seem to be working on Linux rather than Windows, and the same applies across many projects. The Windows requirements are somewhat different to those of Linux, but I don't think that the current developments are being 'productive' as they could be? The Seamonkey development can't address the gaps left by the original breakup, and the drift to Firefox being totally isolated seems to be increasing? So are we reaching a point where a radical overhaul of the roadmap is inevitable?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL