Jens Hatlak wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Jens Hatlak wrote:
I like straightforward solutions so I wrote a little batch file
(doSMbak.bat, but you can name it differently of course) that does what
I need and placed it on the desktop:

@echo off
E:
cd E:\path\to\my\seamonkey\profile
copy *.html bak
copy *.s bak
copy *.w bak
copy *.mab bak
copy *.db bak
copy *.js bak
copy *.rdf bak
copy *.txt bak
copy *.dat bak
copy hostperm.1 bak

Hey Jens, wouldn't it be better still to save the files outside of the
profile, maybe like:-

Copy *.html D:\My Documents\SeaMonkey\Profile\ *.html.bak (similar for
each line)?

FYI: That should read
copy *.html "D:\My Documents\SeaMonkey\Profile\bak"

Shows how long it's been since I had to do much DOS-type stuff! I original had source first, destination second, but changed it!

Spaces require quotes,

Couldn't use spaces, as far as I knew it, in DOS.

"bak" in my example is a directory, not a suffix,
and "copy" accepts only two arguments, source and destination.

You can change it any way you like but as I said it's not meant as a
replacement for a real backup. I guess the chance that your whole
profile is deleted or corrupted is almost the same as that the same
applies to the rest of the partition it resides on in which case only a
real backup will help you. On the other hand the chance that individual
files like bookmarks.html get corrupted is much higher because those
files are open (i.e. the OS holds a handle to each one of them) while
SeaMonkey is running. If now the computer crashes while SeaMonkey is
running those files can be corrupted and the file system might even
decide to write zero-length files. Other files won't be affected,
though. Simple file system logic. :-)

HTH

Jens

--