On 01/21/09 15:16, HeavyDuty wrote:
> chicagofan wrote:
>> HeavyDuty wrote:
>>> Are ALL your messages duplicated and with that date, or just some?
>>> While I have not a clue, I would suspect a problem with the e-mail host.
>>
>> Just some....
>>
>> I thought it was just on mail from a friend who uses Apple, but after a
>> couple of days of just some of her messages duplicating that way, I got
>> one from a friend who uses AOL, right behind the other one's message.
>> Don't know if they were related, I failed to check if maybe it was a
>> reply to one of the Apple messages.
>>
>> I didn't know if it was Microsoft or Apple related perhaps, since I'm
>> the only
>> one who doesn't use MS based e-mail [except the 1 friend using Apple].
>> bj
>>

> Unless you are suggesting Seamonkey is problematic running
> under Mac OS, I doubt if there is any difference on what
> computer or OS messages originate.
>
> While no expert, I believe seamonkey gets the time stamp for
> each message from the received e-mail (which has Universal
> Time ) and shows it based on your computer's time clock.
>
> If your friend's computer's clock is really messed up, it
> would send a wrong time. I doubt any currently operating
> computer BIOS would default back to 1969, so it would have
> to be set intentionally.

Just FYI: On UNIX systems, "time" is tracked as the number
of milliseconds since 1970. I can see how a "time" of zero
adjusted for time zones could result in a displayed value
of 12/31/1969.

... which implies that somewhere along the life of the message,
the date didn't get set properly (or got cleared).