On 2/21/2009 8:51 AM, Ray_Net wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 2/14/2009 7:22 AM, Ray K wrote:
>>> If I go here,
>>>
>>> http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/02/14/A-Possible-Cure-for-Diabetes-Ignored-by-Big-Pharma.aspx,
>>>
>>> or to many other pages of the above site, vertical scrolling is strange,
>>> whether dragging the scrolling bar or using the mouse wheel.
>>>
>>> Using the wheel as an example, and scrolling from top to bottom, the
>>> right 2/3 or so of the screen scrolls upward ahead of the left 1/3, with
>>> the left portion about one-half a line behind the right. Once the right
>>> 2/3 stops scrolling, the left 1/3 catches up (in less than a second) and
>>> everything looks okay. Same situation exists scrolling the other way:
>>> the left 1/3 lags a fraction of a line for a fraction of a second.
>>>
>>> I haven't observed this behavior at other sites; it does not occur using
>>> Internet Explorer.
>>>
>>> Any idea about the cause of this odd annoyance? Are there internal
>>> settings in SM I can change to correct it?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Ray
>>>

>> As I said in another thread, IE is programmed to "guess" what a Web
>> developer meant when invalid HTML was used.  Mozilla's Gecko engine and
>> other browsers do the same thing.
>>
>> The problem is that different browsers guess differently.  Thus, the
>> results in IE and SeaMonkey will likely not be the same when trying to
>> display a pathological Web page.  If the invalid HTML is sufficiently
>> buggy, one browser might (by unplanned coincidence) guess correctly
>> while another will just display garbage.
>>
> This happen when the website developper use only a microsoft tool to
> create the site, and use only IE to check his pages...if all goes well,
> he think that it's the case for all the world.

According to various surveys (including my own), IE's share of the
browser market has declined to 45%-60%.  This is down as much as 44%
since a peak in March 2003.  (Gecko browsers now hold 33%-46% of the
market.)

Any developer who creates a Web site "best viewed with Internet
Explorer" has tied his or her fate to a fading star and is ignoring half
the potential audience.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>