Leonidas Jones wrote:
u...@domain.invalid wrote:
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
u...@domain.invalid wrote:
I have a large mail map of 3.9GB whereof the Inbox is 2.3GB, located on
a FAT32 file system.

The problem is that the index file no longer does update automatic.
Trying to view new incoming messages, shows the text content of some
legacy old messages.

Selecting Inbox>  Properties>  Rebuild index does fix the index problem
temporary, until new messages are received.

Suggestions how to fix this index problem?

Rgds,
Terje
close the program and delete the *.msf file for that account. Restart
SM, then click on that folder, it should rebuild now.

You might want to move some of messages out of that folder and separate
that into some smaller folders.

I've tried that once before, but gave it a try again. As this is a
common SM mail box I use to access from dual boot Linux and Windows
systems and used over the generation with Netscape, Mozilla and now SM
email clients, I removed every *.msf file found on the system.

And yes, the index files rebuilds after SM startup. But when I send
myself a new test mail and receive it in the Inbox, the body content of
this message becomes blanc, before I rebuild the index file manually as
first mentioned.

I have no idea why not the index file updates itself automatically, or
may this be another issue?

Terje

You do have a very large inbox file.

Try this, as an experiment. Close SeaMonkey, navigate to the profile and delete the Inbox.msf file again. Rename Inbox to OldInbox.

Open up SeaMonkey.  Do you have the same problem downloading new mail?

Lee

I've tried that experiment; created a new Inbox and didn't encounter the index problem downloading new mail. I renamed OldInbox back again to Inbox, and the problem arrieved again. My Inbox contains about 13800 mails, the oldest messages since 1999. I don't know if this has exceeded some limit for what the SM indexing can handle?

Terje