Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
Leonidas Jones wrote:
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
Leonidas Jones wrote:
I wrote an article concerning this, referring to SeaMonkey's ancestor,
Netscape 7. I think it applies here as well:

http://community.netscape.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ws-nscpbrowser&tid=8116

Basically, do not use Inbox as a long term repository for stored email.
If you need to keep email, store it in archive folders.

I would have to disagree with you on that Lee. That might have been a
problem in the old Netscape days, but its not now. I've had stuff in my
inbox for years, and never had a problem. Then again, my inbox isn't
over 2 gigs big either. But I do have other folders that are about that
big and still don't have problems.

But Grant, if they are in other folders, they are not in Inbox, are
they? I don't think it matters how long items have been there, its the
size and the constant access that does it.

but I'm saying I have many messages within the inbox that have been
there for years, and I've never experienced any problems.

I understand that. What I am saying is that the length of time the mail has been in the Inbox is not the issue, its the size of the file.

Lee

Since the OP found that the problem did not occur with a clean Inbox,
but reoccurred with the old Inbox restored, is that not instructive?

I think the OPs problem is he reached the size limit for an SM folder
which is 2 gigs!: http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/mailnewsfaq/SizeLimit

While in TB its 4 gigs:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_%28Thunderbird%29#Folders_and_messages

Talk about discrimination! ;-)