Leonidas Jones wrote:
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
Leonidas Jones wrote:
I wrote an article concerning this, referring to SeaMonkey's ancestor,
Netscape 7. I think it applies here as well:

http://community.netscape.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ws-nscpbrowser&tid=8116
Basically, do not use Inbox as a long term repository for stored email.
If you need to keep email, store it in archive folders.

I would have to disagree with you on that Lee. That might have been a
problem in the old Netscape days, but its not now. I've had stuff in my
inbox for years, and never had a problem. Then again, my inbox isn't
over 2 gigs big either. But I do have other folders that are about that
big and still don't have problems.

But Grant, if they are in other folders, they are not in Inbox, are they? I don't think it matters how long items have been there, its the size and the constant access that does it.

but I'm saying I have many messages within the inbox that have been there for years, and I've never experienced any problems.

Since the OP found that the problem did not occur with a clean Inbox, but reoccurred with the old Inbox restored, is that not instructive?

I think the OPs problem is he reached the size limit for an SM folder which is 2 gigs!: http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/mailnewsfaq/SizeLimit

While in TB its 4 gigs: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_%28Thunderbird%29#Folders_and_messages

Talk about discrimination! ;-)