keith_w wrote:
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
Leonidas Jones wrote:
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
Leonidas Jones wrote:
I wrote an article concerning this, referring to SeaMonkey's ancestor,
Netscape 7. I think it applies here as well: Basically, do not use Inbox as a long term repository for stored email.
If you need to keep email, store it in archive folders.

I would have to disagree with you on that Lee. That might have been a
problem in the old Netscape days, but its not now. I've had stuff in my
inbox for years, and never had a problem. Then again, my inbox isn't
over 2 gigs big either. But I do have other folders that are about that
big and still don't have problems.

But Grant, if they are in other folders, they are not in Inbox, are they? I don't think it matters how long items have been there, its the size and the constant access that does it.

but I'm saying I have many messages within the inbox that have been there for years, and I've never experienced any problems.

Since the OP found that the problem did not occur with a clean Inbox, but reoccurred with the old Inbox restored, is that not instructive?

I think the OPs problem is he reached the size limit for an SM folder which is 2 gigs!:

While in TB its 4 gigs:

Talk about discrimination! ;-)

I make a new folder for storage of incoming messages when the Inbox reaches about 1000 messages. I attempted to find out how big that storage folder (Old Inbox) is, but it appears SeaMonkey has no "Get Info" as the Finder does!

How can I find that? I don't know where SM data is kept...

keith whaley

The menu Edit>Edit_Preferences>Mail&Newsgroup_Account_Settings
|_ Server setting | Local Directory (path)
|_ Local Folders  | Local Directory (path)

should tell the file path to the local Mail directoy (Inbox, Sent etc below Mail). Normally I use a custom file path for the Mail boxes.