On 04/10/2009 07:59 AM, Terry R. wrote:
> The date and time was Thursday, April 09, 2009 5:10:07 PM, and on a
> whim, NoOp pounded out on the keyboard:
>> I normally do not run windows, and run linux instead. However I've been
>> running WinXPPro (SP3) on a second machine to assist someone
>> troubleshooting a SeaMonkey issue. I've run into an issue with upgrading
>> from SM 1.1.14 to 1.1.15 and now 1.1.16 whereby I receive WinXP startup
>> errors due to SM replacing the MAPI32.DLL in the Windows System32
>> directory upon each upgrade. To add insult to injury... 1.1.15 & 1.1.16
>> required reboots.
>> If I leave the SM mapi32.dll installed, I received the following error
>> on startup:
>> WindowsSearch.exe - Ordinal Not Found
>> The ordinal 49 could not be located in the synamic link library MAPI32.dll.
>> If I move the SM mapi32.dll (Mozilla version out of the way and
>> replace it with the original MS version (4.0.835.1374), I no longer
>> receive the error & SM seems to continue to work just fine. Note: I have
>> to keep copy of the MS version in a temp/backup folder as SM keeps
>> overwriting the original - whats up with that?
>> The Microsoft WindowsSearch.exe is version 7.0.6001.16503.
>> I seem to recall some discussion regarding Mozilla interference with
>> mapi32.dll files in the past, but I've been on linux for a few years now
>> and had thought that any issues like this had been sorted out. Is anyone
>> else experiencing mapi32.dll issues?
>> Crossposted to: mozilla.dev.apps.seamonkey
> Windows Search most recent version is 4.
> http://www.file.net/process/windowssearch.exe.html

Yeah, it's 4.0 & the file is valid:
I was refering to the actual windowssearch.exe file version.

> I would suggest a malware scan using Malwarebytes and Spybot:
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/
> http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html
> I have SP3 and my mapi32.dll version is 1.0.2536.0. The last time I had
> that issue was 1998, as I realized I have a backup file of the moz mapi
> file in the system32 folder.
> If you copy the SM mapi32.dll file to the SM program folder, does it work?
> Terry R.

Thanks for the suggestions... however the only malware in this case is
SM replacing mapi32.dll in C:\windows\system32. It's quite simple to

1. Put original mapi32.dll in system32
2. Reinstall SM 1.1.1x and watch SM replace the existing mapi32.dll with
it's own, and rename the previous mapi32.dll to mapi32_Mozilla.dll.

Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Philip hit the nail on the head w/

I'll pursue that one, thanks.