Martin Feitag wrote:
furthermore, there is a 2 gig limit for windows.
Perhaps that is the reason for the problem

That's a memory limit per application, not the file limit on the drive.
I don't think SM stores all mails into RAM at a time...?

no, each folder has a 2 gig limit:

Notice: This posting is protected under the Free Speech Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world, except for some strange reason, not to the newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.