On 07/25/2009 01:05 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:
> Martin Feitag wrote:
>> Gerald Ross schrieb:
>>>  Installed the beta version. Do I actually HAVE to have a master
>>>  password? I never did in previous versions. Unable to bypass the window
>>>  to make a master Password. Also unable to invent a password that I can
>>>  really remember (oldtimer's disease) and that it will accept.
>>
>> I guess I experienced the same when I migrated a Seamonkey 1.1.x profile
>> to SM2 after installing SM2.0b1. It seems like SM2 creates a key3.db
>> file in the profile-directory which is useless. After renaming/deleting
>> that file everything was fine and even the imported passwords were
>> accessible.
>> Hope that helps
>>
>> Martin
> Wish I had known that earlier. I actually did a master password reset,
> then re-entered all my passwords one at a time. Only had about 15-20
> that I still use so not a huge operation. Thanks.

For others; you don't have to do either of the above.

1. If you have a Master Password and wish to get rid of it so that you
won't get the multiple prompts (warning, your SM passwords will no
longer be encrypted):
Edit|Preferences|Privacy & Security|Master Passwords|Change Password|
Current password: <entercurrentmasterpassword>
New password: <blank>
New password (again): <blank>
OK
*Do not" use 'Reset Master Password' (read the warning).

2. If you never had a Master Password in your 1.1.x version and you are
now being prompted for one with SM2 after it's imported your 1.1.x
profile, you shouldn't. Please post with details on what you are seeing.
Again, *Do not" use 'Reset Master Password' (read the warning).