On 07/25/2009 07:06 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> 2. If you never had a Master Password in your 1.1.x version and you are
>> now being prompted for one with SM2 after it's imported your 1.1.x
>> profile, you shouldn't. Please post with details on what you are seeing.
>> Again, *Do not" use 'Reset Master Password' (read the warning).
>>
> OK  I never ever had a master password in SM 1.1.x or any other. When
> I installed SM2 beta it imported the profile from 1.1.x. On attempting
> to check mail it asked for my user name and password. After this was
> done it popped up a window asking me to enter my Master Password. I
> tried to leave blank and click OK but it was not OK and the window
> popped back up. After several tries like this, I tried just clicking
> the x on the popup. Back to square one. If it thought I had a current
> Master Password and not a blank one, I figured getting a new one would
> require the unknown old one, so I did not try this.

OK, so I'll repeat with some added verbiage:
2. If you never had a Master Password in your 1.1.x version and you are
now being prompted for one with SM2 after it's imported your 1.1.x
profile, you shouldn't. Please post with details on what you are seeing;
including details on: 1) the 1.1.x version (Help|About SeaMonkey),
operating system, and 2.x details.
Again, *Do not" use 'Reset Master Password' (read the warning).

I just tested with a linux (Ubuntu 9.04) SM1.1.12 (yes I know it's old
but wanted to test from a very old version... results were the same
using 1.1.17) to SM2.0b1. The 1.1.12 has *no* master password set:
Bring up SM2.0b1 clean with no previous .mozilla/seamonkey folder
- Import Settings and Data
  - Import all items from:
   o SeaMonkey 1.x,...
Next
- Home Page Selection
  o Import...
Next
... SM is working on the import
Finished and SM2.0b1 starts up with no master password prompt(s), emails
are all there, bookmarks are all there, no issues.

Upgraded the 1.1.12 (hated to see it go as it was my only remaining test
verson of that old build) to 1.1.17 & repeated the above. No issues.

So unless it is an OS version build issue I don't know what the cause
may have been.