NoOp schrieb:
On 07/25/2009 01:05 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:
Martin Feitag wrote:
Gerald Ross schrieb:
  Installed the beta version. Do I actually HAVE to have a master
  password? I never did in previous versions. Unable to bypass the window
  to make a master Password. Also unable to invent a password that I can
  really remember (oldtimer's disease) and that it will accept.

I guess I experienced the same when I migrated a Seamonkey 1.1.x profile
to SM2 after installing SM2.0b1. It seems like SM2 creates a key3.db
file in the profile-directory which is useless. After renaming/deleting
that file everything was fine and even the imported passwords were
accessible.
Hope that helps

Martin
Wish I had known that earlier. I actually did a master password reset,
then re-entered all my passwords one at a time. Only had about 15-20
that I still use so not a huge operation. Thanks.

For others; you don't have to do either of the above.

I'm sorry but for now this is wrong. In fact when this problem comes up for people who had not used a master-password in SM1, they /do/ need to do that in order to get rid of the not-existing master-password! Obviously this is a bug as it shouldn't happen, but it happens, so it is required to do such things for now with beta1 as long as noone comes up with another solution. Luckily after deleting key3.db all passwords are remaining intact and are accessible afterwards. So SM doesn't seem to encrypt with the "new" (not-existing) master-pw, it just thinks there is one or so (I don't know about the technical details). So deleting that file is the only solution for now afaik until this is fixed.

2. If you never had a Master Password in your 1.1.x version and you are
now being prompted for one with SM2 after it's imported your 1.1.x
profile, you shouldn't. Please post with details on what you are seeing.
Again, *Do not" use 'Reset Master Password' (read the warning).

I didn't have a Master-Password either.
I started SM2 after migrating for the first time and it asked for a master-password right away (I guess because it tries to check for mail already in SM2 without having to open the mail-window, by default) So migrating from SM1.1.17 to SM2.0b1 caused a master password prompt right from the start for me, before doing anything else.
regards

Martin