Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Frog wrote:

You will understand how unknowing I am about computers after reading this message.

I routinely (monthly) backup the two drives (C and E) that are resident on my computer (using Casper 5 software). It has become necessary on more than one occasion to reload only the C portion of the backup back on my system...this most recently occurred when a ca Anti Virus update did bad things to my system. The re installation of the backup has always succeeded in resolving my technical problems in short order. The problem with this process, however, is I lose my mail message for the period between the making of the backup and the day the backup was reinstalled on the system. Thus, I would like to find a way of moving the mail message storage to the E drive, which is used for storage only, and has not been involved in any of the past technical difficulties.

Presently my messages are stored on the C drive as follows:

Documents and Settings>Frog>Mozilla>Profiles>Frog-SeaM>g66n48iz.slt>Mail>Local Folders

When I open Windows Explorer to this location, I find other folders listed under Mozilla as follows:

Mozilla
   Extensions
      ho...@tomtom.com
   Profiles
      Frog-SeaM
         g66n48iz.slt
            chrome
            Mail
               incoming.verizon.net
               Local Folders
            News
               news.mozilla-1.org
               news.mozilla.org
               (((and other news groups I visit)))

Now for my question---can this Mozilla folder be moved to the E drive? If so, what happens when I attempt to make future updates to SeaMonkey? Do I have a separate action to take involving the tomtom entry? Is moving this Mozilla folder to the E drive a good or bad idea?

Seamonkey 1.1.17
Windows XP Pro SP3

Thanks for any help/guidance/recommendations/etc. sent my way on the above subject. I hope you your keep answers simple for this old timer.

I have routinely done so with no harm done in the past, with the following background so you understand what I'm doing and why:

I have two machines running the same OS and service pack (WinXP Pro SP3), and both SeaMonkey installations are configured the same way (same add-ons, same plug-ins, etc.). With both copies of Mozilla, er, SeaMonkey closed, I delete the \Mozilla folder on the target computer and copy the \Mozilla folder over from the source computer. When I launch SeaMonkey on the target, it comes up looking exactly like on the source, with exactly the same messages in exactly the same folders, exactly the same preferences, etc.

I do have one program that SM (like Mozilla before it) periodically forgets, and that's an FLV player. I sometimes have to go into the Helper Applications option and reselect it, but other than that everything works fine.

It's a poor man's way of synching the two machines -- I normally use my desktop for email and browsing, but when I go on a trip I "transfer" to my laptop. On my return, I reverse the procedure and the desktop acts as if /it/ went on the trip and handled all my correspondence.

I don't know how well this would work across operating systems -- it's possible some files or folders would be in different locations and SM couldn't find them on the target. But this is likely to affect only plug-ins, helper apps, etc. and not the SeaMonkey program itself.

Thanks for the information you sent my way.

I look back at my original message and believe I did a poor job of communicating my objectives in that message...so, let me try again.

In my present system, I have one 120GB hard drive installed in my computer and a second external 120GB hard drive connected to my system via USB port. The second, or external hard drive having two partitions, is where my monthly system backup lives. The C partition on the internal hard drive equals the F partition on the external hard drive, and the internal E partition equals the G partition on the external hard drive. I refresh the backup on the external hard drive once a month, and then it is removed from the system.

When a technical problem occurs with my internal hard drive C partition, I fall back to the backup copy to fix the problem. Here are the steps I follow to make that happen.

--I copy the Mozilla folder, located on the C partition of the internal hard drive, to the E partition of the internal hard drive. The Mozilla folder includes my profile and all of my Mail up to the present time.

--I then let the Casper software erase everything from the C partition of my internal hard drive. Once done, Casper then copies the F partition of the external hard drive to the C partition of the internal hard drive.

--My technical problems no longer exist at this point.

--My next step is to remove the Mozilla folder from the refurbished C partition of the internal hard drive (Mail messages in this folder are not up to date) and move the Mozilla folder (made earlier in this process) from the internal E partition to the internal C partition.

Now, I have all of my messages back and a C partition that works. My last action is to make sure that I have all software packages (i.e., virus scan, Windows Updates, etc) up to date. This whole process generally takes less that 20 minutes to accomplish.

Now to what I am attempting to accomplish--the permanent relocation of the Mozilla folder to the E partition of the internal hard drive. If this were possible, it would remove the steps associated with copying and restoring this folder during this process. As I said before, I only store data on my E partition of my internal hard drive, and that is not where my technical problems occur.

Now back to my original questions:
---can this Mozilla folder be moved to the E drive permanently?
---how do I make this happen so that SeaMonkey will know where to find it.
---what happens when I attempt to make future updates to SeaMonkey?
---do I have a separate action to take involving the tomtom entry found in the Mozilla folder?
---is moving this Mozilla folder to the E drive a good or bad idea?

Well, hopefully I clarified my situation a little better in this message. If not, let me know and I will try again. I am sure my lack of technical skills, as it pertains to computers, it showing big time in this exchange.

Frog