On 10/6/2009 5:44 PM Bob Fleischer wrote:
Jens Hatlak wrote:
On 10/5/2009 10:35 PM Bob Fleischer wrote:
Does that mean there won't be another beta before release?

Correct, only 1-2 Release Candidates. Code Freeze is tomorrow already
after all.

Sorry, I forget that your definition is different from our definition of beta. We usually "beta" until the bug rate goes way down to what one would expect in a released product. That doesn't appear to be the case here.

What makes you feel like that? The problems described in this thread (which were regressions introduced through a recently added feature, tabmail) are already fixed for the upcoming Release Candidates. Lots of other things have been fixed, too, both between the last beta and now and (even more) in comparison to the current stable 1.1.x product line. Some major problems will even be fixed as late as today. SM 2.0 won't be perfect but developers are trying as good as they can to fix the most visible bugs left given the limited resources the project has.

The standard reply to questions when there will be a release has been "when it's done". That worked as long as there was no light at the end of the tunnel but at some point the decision was made to put an end to the delay. The reasons for releasing this month go beyond bug counts and product quality but that doesn't mean those things are unimportant either. It's just time to finally wrap things up.

Jens Hatlak <http://jens.hatlak.de/>
SeaMonkey Trunk Tracker <http://smtt.blogspot.com/>