Bob Fleischer wrote:
Well, I found that the visible difference between my production profile
and the virgin test profile is that I had "allow cookies for the
originating website only" on the production system (the one that
failed). I confirmed that setting this on the virgin system caused that
site to fail, also. I confirmed that changing the setting to "allow all
cookies" fixed my production seamonkey rc1 profile, too. So, is the case
closed?

Probably, though that site relying on what at least looks like third-party cookies seems bad, it's completely their issue if they do so.

However, just out of curiosity, I uninstalled Seamonkey 2 RC1 from the
virgin test system and installed Seamonkey 1.1.18 and found that the
banking web site works properly with either setting of "allow cookies..."!

Not sure, but we had a number of changes to the cookie subsystem, possibly also ones that make it more correct or whatever influences this.

Also, why does this setting make a difference between clicking a link to
open in the same window vs. opening in a separate tab or window (which
worked in SM 2 RC1 all along)?

No idea, you probably need to ask the website designers.

Robert Kaiser