Bret Busby wrote:
Due to the reported problems, it seems a bit too problematic to update
from 1.1.18 to 2.0, now. Maybe people like me, who need to be consident
that our systems are (relatively) stable, need to wait until 2.1 is
released.

1) 1.1.18 has a number of know security problems (I actually didn't dare to mention that before 2.0 was out the door) - a large number of the problems fixed in Firefox 3.5.2 to 3.5.4 do exist in SeaMonkey 1.1.18 but have not been fixed in that line, only in the 2.0 release. The largest problem there is that nobody seems to be willing to do all the work of backporting the security patches to that old code.

2) We already know now that 2.1 will not be able to import all the data from 1.x profiles like 2.0 can, as toolkit development removed some of the old import code already.

[...] I think it is probably
best, for stability, to wait until if and when Seamonkey 2 (or, even
better, from the reporting of the problems, version 2.1, with all the
bugs of version 2, fixed) makes it into the package repositories for the
Linux distributions.

Fedora and openSUSE already do provide 2.0 packages for their current or upcoming distribution releases. openSUSE 11.2 is coming in November with SeaMonkey 2.0 available from the installation DVD or official online repository.

Also, it would need to be explicitly stated, that Seamonkey v2.x would
definitely be able to be installed in parallel with an existing
installation of 1.1.x, and, be able to import settings/profiles/history
from v1.1.x, on each of the different operating systems, so that the two
could be run in parallel (parallel implementation is alsways safest, in
software development), to ensure that we do not lose data, as has been
reported as having happened with other people who have upgraded from
1.1.18 to 2, or who have replaced 1.1.18 with 2.

I've heard more reports of 1.1.x users suddenly losing their whole profile as I've heard reports of users losing data when migrating to 2.0 - and it's perfectly possible to run both versions in parallel on any operating system, they just cannot share any profile data, so mails downloaded via POP, etc. on on version will never be available on the other. The best solution is really to uninstall 1.x, install 2.0, migrate your data over and forget the old version would have any other value than being a part of history.

Robert Kaiser