Robert Kaiser wrote:
Bret Busby wrote:
Due to the reported problems, it seems a bit too problematic to update
from 1.1.18 to 2.0, now. Maybe people like me, who need to be consident
that our systems are (relatively) stable, need to wait until 2.1 is
released.

1) 1.1.18 has a number of know security problems (I actually didn't dare to mention that before 2.0 was out the door) - a large number of the problems fixed in Firefox 3.5.2 to 3.5.4 do exist in SeaMonkey 1.1.18 but have not been fixed in that line, only in the 2.0 release. The largest problem there is that nobody seems to be willing to do all the work of backporting the security patches to that old code.

2) We already know now that 2.1 will not be able to import all the data from 1.x profiles like 2.0 can, as toolkit development removed some of the old import code already.

That sounds a lot like "you have to get on the bus now," the alternative being "go back to Baltimore and start over again as a virgin." (E.B.Griswald)

Dropping support for migration this soon seems likely to leave more users on 1.1.xx than to force users to migrate before 2.0 has been out long enough to knock off the rough edges. Even Microsoft gave up trying to force upgrade by beating with a stick, you can still go from XP to Win7, and old applications from before XP still work (for the most part).

I guess I better keep my 2.0 install files handy, to migrate people who wait until they have a chance to watch other do the jump first.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>
  "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot
_______________________________________________
support-seamonkey mailing list
support-seamonkey@lists.mozilla.org
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/support-seamonkey

Reply via email to