Daniel wrote:
Rufus wrote:
Chris Ilias wrote:
On 10-02-08 9:07 PM, Rufus wrote:
Chris Ilias wrote:
On 10-02-07 4:10 PM, Rufus wrote:
Chris Ilias wrote:
You said "your users are your best "user experience" people". Users
communicate what is on their minds, not the workarounds they have
gotten used to.

What's "on their mind" is their "experience". A forum like this is
where
people come primarily to solve problems they encounter...a lot of
UI/UE
information can be mined from such forums - IMO, the team should feel
free to ask us users questions too, just as you did.

* A forum like this requires knowing how to use newsgroups.

So what? It's still a source of information, just like the bug reports
forum...a free source. Doesn't relieve the team of coming up with a way
to use that information on their own.

SO unless the knowledge to use a newsgroup is common knowledge, the
users here are not the best user experience people. This newsgroup is
not an accurate representation of the SeaMonkey userbase.

Then what's it here for? I think people who post here are posting
accurate observations concerning their own experiences. That's just
another way of saying not to listen to them.

...and as someone else pointed out, the way here is presented on the
initial splash screen every time a use installs a new version of SM and
launches it for the first time. So every SM user has a chance to know
that this forum exists.

I hope you are not referring to me, Rufus. Several times, over the years, I have suggested that there *SHOULD* be a clickable link as part of the Mail & Newsgroup splash screen, but, sadly, I'm still waiting.

The alteration would have to happen in "chrome://messenger/content/start.xhtml" but I don't know how to do it.

Anybody??

Daniel

That would be a great idea...best place to build it in would be a default splash for Mail/News. Or even build an news.mozilla.org account into Mail/News as a default - at least the account, if not actual subscriptions.

What's on the initial browser splash is nice, if the user actually looks at it and follows the link to the SM home page for some further reading...which is what I did the first time, I think. May have been the other way around - found the home page, read, decided to try, then subscribed, as I'd been using Mozilla Suite previously. Either way, I'd consider it effective.

--
     - Rufus