BJ wrote:
Philip Chee wrote:
On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 03:10:25 -0700, BJ wrote:
Chris Ilias wrote:
This newsgroup is not an accurate representation of the SeaMonkey userbase.

How do you know that?

The sad fact is that nowadays usenet and nntp newsgroups in general are
now pretty much a minority interest. Most internet users these days
don't even know about usenet, or if they do, they think it is part of
"google groups". The preferences of the current web 2.0 generation  are
various forms of web forums (e.g. Mozillazine) and (shudder) social
networking sites.

Phil

I don't disagree that NG users are a minority, but that still doesn't show whether or not they're "an accurate representation of the SeaMonkey userbase".

Quakers are a minority, and they DO represent a much larger anti-war movement (apologies to Quakers . . . that's the only analogy I can come up with on the spur of the moment).

Quakers are a minority, and they DON'T represent a much larger anti-war movement.

Both statements may or may NOT reflect your opinion, depending on your own viewpoint. And that's my point: These things will remain subjective opinions and anecdotal until they are supported by FACTS (that would be the mythical pole I referred to in another post).

In any case, I still maintain this is a Red Herring and largely irrelevant to the issue raised by Rufus.

BJ

P.S. I also "shudder" at social networking sites. In a lot of cases they are nests for malware. I have no use for them.

...me too.  Simply refuse to use them - never have.

P.P.S. That would be another interesting poll. Are SM users representative of the social networking userbase? My sense is that they are NOT, but that is based only on anecdotal opinion and NOT on fact. That will remain a subjective opinion until that poll is taken.

I'd think they are a sub-set in the very least. One can use any browser to social network...but do all or most SM users use social networking?
Could go either way...

--
     - Rufus