Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> You are getting a timeout because Verizon *killed* NNTP news service
>> for its subscribers last year. You can blame New York State Attorney
>> General Andrew Cuomo [1] for that. Other major ISPs did as well,
>> notably AT&T.
>
> Can you supply any links from reliable sources explaining that? I'm
> not in NY, so I didn't get the memo, but I'm in line for Verizon
> FiOS, so I may be at risk if what you're saying is true.

Sure. Google is your friend.  (You didn't believe me...  <lol>)
<http://www.zeropaid.com/news/86938/verizon-quits-free-usenet-access-sep-30th/>
<http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2008/06/15/verizon_shuts_down_access_to_usenet>
..many more. Google for:  verizon cuomo usenet

He did it to AT&T, Comcast, and others. Not just New York; the ISPs
removed it nationwide.

There will be no Usenet access with your FiOS.

Of course, the whole thing was a sham. He's looking to be Governor next
year, and probably president soon after. "I saved the U.S. from child
pornography!!!"  But did it stop anyone who wants CP?  No, they just
signed up with Giganews or somebody and continued on their merry way.

You're not 'at risk.' Just go get a free account at
eternal-september.org  or a €10/year account at news.individual.net
which is very reliable.

--
   -bts