Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
You are getting a timeout because Verizon *killed* NNTP news
service for its subscribers last year. You can blame New York
State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo [1] for that. Other major ISPs
did as well, notably AT&T.

Can you supply any links from reliable sources explaining that? I'm
not in NY, so I didn't get the memo, but I'm in line for Verizon
FiOS, so I may be at risk if what you're saying is true.

Sure. Google is your friend.  (You didn't believe me...<lol>)
<http://www.zeropaid.com/news/86938/verizon-quits-free-usenet-access-sep-30th/>

This one is not so clear. First, it talks about Usenet, which AFAIK
Mozilla news is not. Second, it says "specifically to the alt.bin and
alt.bain newsgroup hierarchies that provide actual data files," which
doesn't cover us either.

Well, okay, I guess access to the mozilla.* isn't affected - but that's
only a couple dozen groups. What VZ, AT&T, Comcast, etc have done is
they have closed down their *own* servers that mirrors the
<mumble>-thousand of Usenet groups.

<http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2008/06/15/verizon_shuts_down_access_to_usenet>

This one is clearer, mentioning innocuous tech support groups by name.

If the ISPs get enough complaints, they'll tailor their restrictions
narrowly as they should have in the first place.

We complained bitterly (see AT&T below). Remember, we are among the
'less-than-2%' of ISP subscribers who even know what a newsgroup is.
It's a very small voice, and it didn't work.

..many more. Google for:  verizon cuomo usenet

He did it to AT&T, Comcast, and others. Not just New York; the ISPs
removed it nationwide.

There will be no Usenet access with your FiOS.

You're not 'at risk.' Just go get a free account at
eternal-september.org  or a €10/year account at news.individual.net
which is very reliable.

I never realized my ISP was even a party to these transactions; I
thought they were just a common carrier that transmitted whatever
data I sent or requested. Now, I don't go in for kiddie porn, but if
I wanted to download perfectly legal adult material I don't see what
business of theirs it would be.

You can still go download pr0n, even kiddie pr0n if you want. You just
ain't gonna get it from any server Verizon owns. The binary groups are
still there, humming along nicely I suppose. All that was killed was the
major ISP access via their servers.

There is an unmentioned point here (but since you're looking for
details) and that is the Cuomo Crusade gave the ISPs the *EXCUSE* to
shut down their NNTP server farms, and *save a lot* of money, while
blaming it all on the politically-ambitious NY AG. Nowhere in any of any
ISP's publications did they publically admit this.

I was an AT&T Worldnet subscriber until mid-2008. Our internal
newsgroups (support, user-to-user support, general...) were staffed by
employees. Keeping friendly watch on us chickens, so to speak. In
private email, they told me it was the perfect reason for them to just
pull the entire plug on providing Usenet for anyone.

The AT&T guy said they would now save somewhere around 4 Terrabytes per
day in bandwidth as well (the entire Usenet).

If all you care about are the mozilla groups, you're in great shape. I
thought you were interested in Usenet as well.

Oh, and speaking of small voices, the nearly two million Worldnet
subscribers are losing everything except their email on March 31st.
Worldnet itself is going away. They must migrate their email to other
AT&T brands (att.yahoo.com f'r ex) and give up their dialup access,
personal web pages et al.

I apologize for the length.

Tried eternal-September and just timed out. I removed it.

mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com