Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

You are getting a timeout because Verizon *killed* NNTP news service
for its subscribers last year. You can blame New York State Attorney
General Andrew Cuomo [1] for that. Other major ISPs did as well,
notably AT&T.

Can you supply any links from reliable sources explaining that? I'm
not in NY, so I didn't get the memo, but I'm in line for Verizon
FiOS, so I may be at risk if what you're saying is true.

Sure. Google is your friend.  (You didn't believe me...  <lol>)
<http://www.zeropaid.com/news/86938/verizon-quits-free-usenet-access-sep-30th/>

This one is not so clear. First, it talks about Usenet, which AFAIK Mozilla news is not. Second, it says "specifically to the alt.bin and alt.bain newsgroup hierarchies that provide actual data files," which doesn't cover us either.

<http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2008/06/15/verizon_shuts_down_access_to_usenet>

This one is clearer, mentioning innocuous tech support groups by name.

If the ISPs get enough complaints, they'll tailor their restrictions narrowly as they should have in the first place.

..many more. Google for:  verizon cuomo usenet

He did it to AT&T, Comcast, and others. Not just New York; the ISPs
removed it nationwide.

There will be no Usenet access with your FiOS.

You're not 'at risk.' Just go get a free account at
eternal-september.org  or a €10/year account at news.individual.net
which is very reliable.

I never realized my ISP was even a party to these transactions; I thought they were just a common carrier that transmitted whatever data I sent or requested. Now, I don't go in for kiddie porn, but if I wanted to download perfectly legal adult material I don't see what business of theirs it would be.

Paul B. Gallagher