Interviewed by CNN on 05/07/2011 14:44, J. Weaver Jr. told the world:
> Rufus wrote:
>> Robert Kaiser wrote:
>>>
>>>  And it's outside the abilities of the SeaMonkey team to produce a
>>>  non-Mozilla-based app, so please just let this thread end.
>>>
>>>  Robert Kaiser
>>>

>> I doubt that...I've got all sorts of faith in your abilities.  If your
>> resources are limited, that's something else altogether.
>
> ...so, volunteer. It sounds like you've got more interest in seeing this
> happen than everyone else here put together. So, DO IT. We've got all
> sorts of faith in _your_ abilities. ;) -JW

I had a bit of an inspiration regarding this discussion.

In the end, it all hinges in different definitions of "Mozilla,"
"Browser," "Mozilla product", "Seamonkey" and such.

Most of us here define those things from the inside out. Rufus looks at
the surface only.

- We consider a product a browser only if it has its own browser engine.
- Rufus does not care about browser engine; he makes no distinction
between browser and shells.

- We consider something a "Mozilla product" only if its built on Mozilla
technology.
- Rufus considers something a "Mozilla product" if it has the
appropriate name slapped on top.

- We look at the Mozilla project and see the underlying technology.
- Rufus looks at it and sees product branding.

- We define Seamonkey at least in part through its genealogy and
evolution, that is, as the successor to the Mozilla suite and Netscape.
- Rufus looks at it and see a browser and an e-mail client tacked together.

By *our* definitions, it's impossible to make a iOS version of
Seamonkey, because we can't use the most essential piece of the Mozilla
technology, that is, the Gecko engine. Without Gecko, it's no longer
Seamonkey, period.

By *his* definition, only the surface matters, so it should be possible
to build an entirely new, superficially similar but technologically
incompatible product and slap the "Seamonkey" label on top.

And yes, it might be possible to build such a browser-plus-email combo
for iOS, building on top of the native Webkit. Only this would bear no
resemblance to a Mozilla or Seamonkey product, on several levels. Even
the surface (the user interface) would necessarily be different from the
desktop product; touch-and-physics interface in a small screen is
fundamentally different from point-and-click in a big screen. Look at
how little the Mobile Firefox UI resembles the desktop Firefox UI.

Some other team might be interested in doing such a project. From what I
have gathered here, nobody at the Seamonkey team is.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

-=-=-
... Sent from my Amstrad PCW.
*Added by TagZilla 0.066.2 running on Seamonkey 2.1 *