Stan wrote:
Did we ever come up with a sure way of tricking sites into thinking we
are using Firefox?

I need to switch banks and it appears they only accept the browsers on
their list.

Wow, a lot of info in responses. I have to switch banks and there is
really only one choice within reason, a nice local bank with a few
branches. I'm trying to get a clear statement from them on whether or
not they will block me. So far, the only word is they do not support SM.
I think I'll try to make contact with a technical person where I can
discuss the whole thing.

When an entity says "we only support <insert browser names here>" what they really mean is "our 1st-level minimum-wage support people have only been trained for IE/Chrome/Firefox", and/or their computerized scripts only contain references to the most-common of browsers. Nothing else.

In nearly every case, their sites will work with all modern browsers, if you can get by the 'sniffing' - which is easy with a UA switcher. Oh, one exception: don't use a bank that is stuck in Windows ActiveX mode. :-/

I'll switch to that bank anyway and try all the suggested spoofs. And
als try to get the bank to do it right.

I use a local credit union here in New York State, and they know my name; I'm not just an account number. Further, their web site doesn't even require JavaScript to access and use completely.

--
   -bts