Philip TAYLOR wrote:

JeffM wrote:
So, how difficult is it to get good information about this field?
Not a bit.
http://google.com/search?q=%22.Web.quality%22

Oh, look. The first 2 results are for W3C Schools
and point to how to do ANYTHING Web-related properly.

I'm not sure if there was implied irony here, Jeff, but just
in case there was not, I would like to point out that those
first two results are /not/ to "W3C Schools", nor are they
to anything that is even vaguely W3C-related. They are to
a web site that, quite deliberately, has chosen to name
itself W3Schools (note : no "C", no space) despite the
fact that it has no connection whatsoever with the W3C.

As to whether one can place any reliance on anything to
be found on that site, each can form his or he own
opinion : for myself, I choose to ignore all links to
W3Schools (mentally cursing the fact that they time and
again manage to get to the top of the search rankings)
and rely solely on authoritative material from the W3C.

W3Schools.com (as you say, Philip, no relation whatsoever to W3C) is routinely bashed in the web authoring groups for being filled with errors. It's been that way since their inception.

Jeff, before you promote them further, go ask in c.i.w.a.h. about them. It's off-topic here.

--
   -bts